Friday 18 April 2008

The issue of burkhas: An admittance of ignorance

I had a discussion with a friend this morning about burkha-wearing women in Islam. I'll admit, I don't know much about it (and it's not easy for me to admit ignorance). I haven't researched it or read anything much on it, and I certainly have never spoken to a women who wears one, which would theoretically be the most authentic way to get some kind of real view on the issues.

This is an incredibly personal thing to me, since I'm aware of my own cultural bias. I know, however, that it is not possible to take these women out of their context and judge them, or even the men around them. Taking things out of context leads to all manner of badness including xenophobia or racism, perhaps sexism too. I don't want this. I want to understand the issues around it.

My friend stands firm in her belief that it's oppressive and disgusting, which I don't want to prescribe to unless the majority of reliable sources provide me with information to think the same. I know my friend is taking it out of context. It's a habit we have in Western society. To remedy my own bias as much as I can, I am going to order some books on the subject.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

No comments: