Thursday 17 April 2008

Become Divine: An Introduction

I have always been a feminist.

I still remember an exchange with my mother on the way home from junior school one afternoon. She was pondering aloud why all three of us in the family - all female - were staring at the ground as we walked. I piped up that it was probably because women had been oppressed for so long and used to have to be meek and subservient, and we had yet to get out of the habit. I remember being confused when she said that probably wasn't the whole reason. I must have been no older than ten.

It is only recently, however, that I have begun to accept how deep the patriarchy and sexism goes into our society. I watched it with a shallow perspective before; overt sexism, the obvious things, were all I really noticed.

Some interesting articles on blogs and LiveJournal got me thinking, and I started reading around the topic.

Since this is an epic journey for me and I've already come so far in these last few months, I have created this blog to document my journey. It won't be easy. I tend to base all my knowledge of the world in academia, so there will be a lot of reviews of books and ideas I have encountered, but feminism goes deeper than that. I'm also quite interested in the history of feminine ideas and will be investigating those at some point.

Welcome to my journey. I hope the ride is bumpy enough to keep me interested.

No comments: