Sunday 11 May 2008

The Ova Vs. The Sperm

My entire life, I've had this image of the placid little egg laying in wait in the uterus for the mighty sperm to fight their valiant way to find it. I've imagined the little sperm shoving itself into the egg triumphantly, a sign of its strength. I know I have this image because that's what's been fed to me all through school and all through anything I've read about it until now.

Because apparently, it really doesn't happen like that.

The sperm is a weak swimmer and the egg actively draws the sperm closer. The ova is certainly not passive; the link above suggest eagerness if anything. How was I so completely unaware of this?

Yet another example of man's inability to see the world how it really is while they're wrapped up in their bigoted little life. And yes, I know I'm generalising, and no, I don't care right now.

No comments: